Friday, April 22, 2011

Passed the halfway mark with chemo

I've now been hooked up for round #5 of 8, so I'm on the home run. Yippee. The reduction in dose last time allowed the mouth ulcers and cracked lips to heal, so eating and drinking are now not so torturous. And my husky voice is not quite so husky now. I will be on the reduced dose for the rest of the treatment and I think it will be quite manageable.

I have been having some unexplained shooting pain in my groin for the past few weeks, so the oncologist referred me for a bone scan - just in case the cancer had spread to the bones. I am happy to report that the bone scan only revealed old bones and nothing else, so that is good news. Doesn't explain the pain though so further tests are afoot. Meanwhile I'm taking slow release pain killers in an attempt to lessen the severity of the pain when it comes. Fortunately it only lasts a minute or two and then eases off.

So.... I had a great weekend in Singleton with my friend, Suzie and her daughter and grandchildren. The kids love the Hopemobile and love to just climb in and stand and look and point out things they see. It's very cute. They know to take their shoes off before climbing in, but forget to put them on again when they leave, so I have to chase them to put their shoes back on.


Max is three and a half and he LOVES the caravan :)

Back in the Gong after Singleton meant unpacking, washing and packing again in preparation for an Easter break away at North Head at the old quarantine station near Manly. On Thursday morning I was at the chemo clinic for my infusion and pump hook up (four hours in total) before heading home to finish packing and be collected by Gayle for the trip north. the weather was superb and it was a good trip with me doing the navigating.

We are staying in a lovely old solid brick 4 bedroom house that is owned by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and usually used for training programs. Lovely big bedrooms, two big bath rooms, separate dining room for 8, outdoor deck with furniture, everything you need for a short stay including fluffy white bath robes. They allow AFP personnel and civilian staff to rent them at Easter and Christmas. Below are Robbie, Gayle, Carmel and Atilla - the friends I am sharing my Easter weekend with at North Head. Pic was taken with my iphone and it's a bit fuzzy - and I wasn't drinking! My apologies.



Life is good fun here at North Head. Fish and chips and salad for Good Friday dinner with congenial conversation around the table and into the evening. I had a nanna nap this afternoon, so was rested to enjoy the evening.

And now to bed. Friday night ... oops Saturday morning 23 April at 12.10am. Good night.

No comments: